Monday, March 29, 2010

One Winning Team

Well folks, in the interest of full disclosure. Here is my fantasy Baseball team for the 2010 season. I am in an ESPN auction league, which gives you $260 dollars (fake, of course), to bid on players against 9 other competitors.

I always shy away from spending too much on any one player, which usually makes my teams lack excitement, but also usually puts me in the top third of the league. Does the past guarantee the future? Absolutely not. But that is why we play the game, or in the world of fantasy, that is why other, better athletically equipped real people play the game for us.

Infielders
C Miguel Montero, Ari C, don't know anything about him, had a few extra bucks for a catcher.
1B Kendry Morales, LAA 1B He helped me out last year, and hence, can do so this year.
2B Jose Lopez, Sea 2B solid, not spectacular.
3B Kevin Youkilis, Bos 3B, 1B For my wife, of course, and for me, hopefully .310, 30 and 105
SS Stephen Drew, Ari SS solid, not spectacular
2B/SS Jason Bartlett, TB SS solid, not spectacular. For 2B/SS, if not Utley, then it isn't worth it.
1B/3B Derrek Lee, ChC 1B I tried to get someone to overpay, and ending up being me.

Outfielders
Jayson Werth, Phi OF He's worth it.
Adam Lind, Tor OF, DH He's also worth it, though most don't know him.
Bobby Abreu, LAA OF Got stuck with him, but an old favorite. Emphasis on the old.
Nelson Cruz, Tex OF Numbers last year were real good. Expect a big downfall.
Shane Victorino, Phi OF Hopefully, he'll be flyin' to 40 stolen bases.
UTIL Billy Butler, KC 1B Don't know him, but numbers were good last year.

Starting Pitchers
Cliff Lee, Sea SP Of course, the news broke moments after drafting him that he is on DL.
Ubaldo Jimenez, Col SP a rockies pitcher??? We are living in a post-humidor world.
Cole Hamels, Phi SP Am I a sucker? Yeah.
Wandy Rodriguez, Hou SP last year was real good.
Ted Lilly, ChC SP I was running out of money, so sue me.
John Lackey, Bos SP best 3 starter in mlb.
Ben Sheets, Oak SP had a dollar left, and a dream.

Relievers
Joakim Soria, KC RP stud.
Andrew Bailey, Oak RP second year dud?
Rafael Soriano, TB RP is Tampa Bay in the mud?
Trevor Hoffman, Mil RP old as crud.*
Carlos Marmol, ChC RP worse than Elmer Fudd.

So all in all, I'm happy with my team. My prediction, a solid 2nd place, 6 points behind the winner.

*Have I mentioned that I am now at the age when announcers call players old and slowing down...AND THEY ARE USUALLY ABOUT MY AGE?

Play ball.

No comments:

Post a Comment