Tuesday, April 21, 2015

My TIme at Stockton Elementary

Some of the stories special to me as I sell my book

One of the most special days that I've had in selling my book was an afternoon that I traveled across the street to the local elementary school, Stockton Elementary.  While our children are home schooled, I have a great care and delight in our school community.   I've was on the School board for 4 years, and president for 6 months.  I know many of the families, and enjoy the sound of children playing during recess and after school.

Principal Suzanne Ivans had invited me to come and read my book to the students.  We broke the event into two times.  The first group was the 4-6th grade students, followed by the younger students.  (It should be noted that Stockton is one of New Jersey's oldest, and smallest public schools, with under 60 students, kindergarten through 6th grade.  The attention the students receive is comparable to a private school. 

I had a great time with the students.  After reading my story, I answered at least 30 questions that the students had.  And the questions were really thought-provoking.  I was so impressed with these students.  I've been in Stockton long enough that the 6th grade class started at the school the same year I arrived in our town, so I've watched them grow up.   And if they tackle everything in life with that same spirit, there were many in that room that will do well!

The younger students were so cute.  This one girl couldn't understand that I didn't draw the pictures myself.  She must have asked me 5 times if I liked drawing the pictures.  It's ok, she has time :)   Maybe by my second or third book, she'll be a smart leader among the upper elementary students.  Until then, I'm glad she thinks I have artistic talent!

All in all, a delightful day among a great school community.


No comments:

Post a Comment